The Clan

The Clan

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

12 months of Old School Practices

Different people may receive different messages from this blog's theme scripture, Jeremiah 6:16. But to me, it means that peace can be found in the practices of yesteryear. Today, modern conveniences and technologies have taken us away from the way God would have us to live in ways we'd never think of. In many ways we are hurting ourselves and our children by relying upon certain modern practices and forsaking the old. By seeking and embracing old time principals and practices, I'm expecting to teach our children TRUE survival skills. I'm expecting to have a closer relationship with the Lord. I'm expecting to live healthier lives. I'm expecting to save money. I'm expecting to have less time for foolishness (internet, tv, phone chatting) because conveniences are being taken out of the equation. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for many of the conveniences and technologies of today, but I think many of us tend to go overboard. There should be a checks and balances.

Over the next 12 months, my family and I will experiment with various old time ways for one month each. I will give written and video journal updates along the way. We had a little help from friends to come up with this list. I am SO nervous to try some of these. Are my friends trying to help, or be cruel. Hmmm...

November: Purchase no snack food. Make/Bake everything from scratch with the kids. Also start the 12 month journey of all natural hair. No relaxer, no dyes.
December: Use a grinder to make flour for baking our own bread with the kids. No Wonder Bread for the month.
January: Eliminate all processed sugar. Teach the kids to be aware of these foods.
February: No dish washer or washing machine. (Yikes!)
March: Teach the kids to sew and make at least 2 things for each child to wear.
April: JRock (hubby) will teach the kids how to use power tools to make their own toys. They will work on toy building rather than play video games this month.

I'll add in the next 6 months of experiments later. Check in often to see our progress!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mia I was thinking about you, hope your feeling better. How is the list going I would love a update.

    ReplyDelete